The Gift of Truth excels all other Gifts. ~ Gautama Buddha
Blogging giveaways. Everyone has done them. (Except me. But what do I have to give away, except my intelligence and insecurities?)
It seems like fun, right?
Let me spoil the fun real quick. Think about this: Do bloggers and readers join giveaways only for the freebies? Or is the freebie just a way for the to-be followers to enter the world created by the respective blogger?
Has the demon of worry entered your mind yet?
Most giveaways have these conditions: Like Facebook page / Follow on Twitter / Tag on Instagram / Add on Snapchat. You and I know it’s a simple and foolproof way to get followers.
From a reader and follower’s perspective, answer this question honestly: Do you actually go back and unfollow the blogger hosting the giveaway, if you don’t win anything? Or do you keep following the blogger, in the hope that you may win something in the next giveaway? (Read the quote at the beginning of the post, and give me an honest answer)
Giveaways are not the only way bloggers fulfill their social media goals. They also host various competitions, in which cash prizes / gift vouchers are given to winners.
Yay! A freebie that can be used in any way the follower deems fit.
I personally feel that gift vouchers and cash prizes are better than giveaways. Number one reason: I can use it however I want. I don’t have to use a particular thing that I have been gifted (Hint: Please remember this when my birthday arrives. Give me gift vouchers, and not any other trinket I will never use. Or you could take the extra effort and buy me a book. Please check my GoodReads shelf for that.)
Gift vouchers are more economical when you consider delivering it to the winner. But they require a decent amount of investment to buy in the first place. (A Rs. 500 one is the standard, I guess)
Hence, selection of the correct freebie to give would depend on these parameters:
- Whether you’re loaded enough to give gift vouchers
- Whether you want to promote a book that you have written
- Whether you want to promote a product that you have created
- Whether the freebie has some significance to your brand
- Whether someone has given you a product to promote via a giveaway
- Whether you can integrate ‘giving the freebie’ with ‘social media sharing by the winner’. For example: your freebie is a hand-painted mug. Would the winner be inclined to promote this mug on his/her social media? In short, is it selfie-worthy?
Here are three useful links I have foraged out, to help you organise the perfect blogging giveaway on your blog. (Because I have no experience in this topic!)
- ‘I can build a blog’ Blog, which has a step-by-step list on ‘How to Run A Successful Blogging Giveaway‘
- ‘Wishpond’ Blog, which has ‘101 Best Prize Ideas to Give Away in Online Contests & Competitions’ . While these ideas are separated as per seasons, with enough creativity you can adapt it to your own brand!
- Also on ‘Wishpond’ Blog, ‘7 Blog Giveaway Mistakes to Avoid‘.
Wassup, happy readers! This post is written for the #AtoZChallenge, and this is the third year I’m participating in this challenge. Do keep cheering me on all through this month, as I’m hell-bent on scoring a hat-trick in 2017, at the age of 18! My theme for this year is : The Encyclopedia of Blogging Memories, Feelings and Lessons.
Here’s a special question for you to answer today: Have you ever hosted a blogging giveaway? Do share some tips for us newbies!