What would I do if I got my hands on a million dollars?
As a student, I’d say: I will immediately register for all the possible degrees, certificates, diplomas, MBAs, postgraduate diplomas, blah blah blah. Just to increase my prospects of getting a decent job, recover my education costs, and pre-book that sexy Rolls Royce as soon as possible.
As a budding investor, I’d say: invest 80% of the amount receivable after paying Short Term Capital Gains tax into equity and the remaining 20% into bonds, FDs and debentures.
As a stupid teenager, I’d say: I’ll spend this money to fulfill my dreams of eating every cupcake in the world!
As a Potterhead, I’d say: I’ll use all of this money to get an autograph from JK Rowling, and half an hour of her time to just chitchat about Harry Potter and Cormoran Blue Strike.
As a bookworm, I’d say: I’d build the world’s largest library with one million dollars and live, breathe, eat and sleep books.
As a music addict, I’d say: I will create a pair of earphones that never break. Not in centuries.
Faced with this multitude of options, what would I really do if I got a million dollars?
So, I decided to call upon fabulus, and let her solve the dilemma for me. Over to you, gal.
So, just yesterday, a million dollars was wired to our account. The email we received said that we had won some literary competition because of my sick sense of humour. Really? Did they give us a million dollars to appreciate our sense of humour, or to persuade us to change our hobbies?
Anyways, I got the million dollars out of the bank with Mithila’s help. They are now seated in nice rows just beneath the bed. I can’t sleep because of the aromatic scent of the green green notes. But I guess Mithila is fast asleep, tucked in with blankets and medication.
I’ve planned out how I’m going to spend this fortune within three days. Yes, I’m going to spend it all, only in three days.
I’m not going to buy a car, or spend it on any philanthropic purposes, or any other goal Mithila gives me.
I’m going to spend it on: ensuring that every person in this world has a bottle of Calming Draught in their pockets.
Now, if you don’t know what a Calming Draught is: go away, Muggle.
Just kidding. Calming Draught is a Magical Potion that helps you calm down when you suffer from shock, burst out in a tirade because of emotional stress or when you feel like magnifying your problems and sharing them with the world.
But the Calming Draught I wish to create does more than that. It also helps you relax after a hectic and nerve-wracking day at work. It also prevents you from stabbing someone in the back (or in the neck) after a particularly nasty fight or argument.
The plan of action involves:
Day 1: Waking Professor Snape up from the dead and asking him for his tried and tested to perfection recipe of a Calming Draught. Also, I would need to confirm with him whether adding a generous potion of Dirigible Plum Extract would make a positive difference.
If that doesn’t work, then ask Harry himself about the whereabouts of the book. It’s most likely destroyed, along with the Room of Requirement.
Day 2: Brew the Revised Calming Draught with the help of some intern Healers. Bottle and package them in pens. So the user can pretend to be sucking their pen in nervousness, and instead ingest the potion.
Day 3: Employ owls to deliver packages to each home. Also, ask Professor McGonagall if she would be willing to share the patented technology of ‘knowing where each Hogwarts student is located over the vacation’ with us.
End of Day 3: Sit back and enjoy fruits of labour.
If you have this nagging thought in your brain, that ‘Hey, potions don’t exist!’ , ‘Why is fabulus trying to come up with an imaginary solution to a real life problem?’, let me counter you by saying:
‘Who said the million dollars were real?’
Hope you enjoyed that stupidly weird post written by fabulus. It’s a cause for celebration today. It’s been around six months since I shifted from Blogger to WordPress, and I’m proud to announce that I’ve reached the milestone of 100 followers, more than 5000 views and 2500 comments on the blog! Grab a strawberry and celebrate 🙂
I also wish to share something more with you. I am participating in the Tata LitLive Mystory Contest 2016, and I would really appreciate it if you could read the story I’ve submitted and vote for it! Voting ends on 2nd October. But if you do have a moment to spare right now, do check out the link, hit the vote button and enter your email address there (it’s so that the voting process gets completed. I’m not making any kind of subscription list by getting your email ids from there. And anyway, I can’t even see who voted for me from there! )
If you have participated in this contest too, tweet the link to me @fabulus1710 and I’ll give you a shoutout. Pinky promise.
Linking this post to Sanch’s for the #FridayReflections. The prompt is: What would you do if someone just gave you a million dollars?