Limerence or Limerance
Meaning: An involuntary romantic infatuation with another person, especially combined with an overwhelming, obsessive need to have one’s feelings reciprocated.
Etymology: coined by Dorothy Tennov (1928–2007), American psychologist
Usage in a sentence: “I think she’s limerent over him.”
Limerence is sometimes also interpreted as infatuation, or what is colloquially known as a “crush”. So if you want to impress your crush, tell him/her, “I’m limerent over you.”. 😛
Signs you’re experiencing feelings of limerence over a person:
- You’re obsessed with your crush. (“But isn’t that the staple necessity of having a crush over someone? Being obsessed with them?”~ Fab)
- You desperately want the two of you to be a couple.
- You are extremely sensitive to the emotions of your object of desire. Like, you’re happy when they reciprocate your feelings of love, and die tiny deaths every time they ignore you.
- You are completely immersed into the tub of love. And stalk their every move.
- You fear being rejected by him/her.
- You tend to cook up “reasonable” explanations for why neutral actions by him/her are a sign that they love you too. For example, the way he stared at you during a lecture. He could have just been looking out of the window, and you happened to be in his line of vision. But no, you’ll probably imagine him kissing you under the moonlight, just because he stared at you during a lecture.
- You think about your crush, even though you don’t even realise it. And it’s disturbing your daily schedules a little, a little more than usual.
- Your ideas for an ideal date are far-fetched. The possibility of them occurring is as high as me having straight hair.
- You occasionally dream about the fantasies you have.
- Wikipedia says that awkwardness, stuttering, shyness, and confusion predominate at the behavioral level. Less common effects include insomnia, loss of appetite, and passing out.
And if you thought that people displaying the above symptoms are a bunch of whackos, congratulations, you’re not limerent.
If you haven’t heard “Can’t Stop” by Maroon5, do check it out. The lyrics completely describe a limerent person’s behaviour!
So, what was that one embarrassing moment you had when you pulled up the guts to go and talk to your crush? Share it in the comments section, and maybe, just maybe, I will post my embarrassing moment there too 😀
Information sourced at Wikipedia