It’s kinda weird. 7 billion people on this planet earth. And yet I manage to feel lonely when I’m in the midst of a group. Analysing this situation, I’ve come up with some reasons why most of us feel pangs of loneliness at various points in life..
|Empty corridors mirroring your state of mind.. #Lonely
Pic source: gratisography.com
1. You want to be with one particular person and not with the rest: This happens when you’re globe trotting or even when you’re away from someone you love. The pleasure you derive from the company of that one special person cannot rival the happiness you get from having a conversation with a stranger.
2. You feel like no one understands you: In most cases, you kinda withdraw into a shell. And don’t wanna talk about what’s hurting you inside. Coz you think that the world can’t understand you. You observe your problems with a microscopic vision and tend to magnify them to a size that a self-respecting potato would be ashamed of. I do not intend to belittle your problems. To each one, his grief is greater than his fellow friend’s grief. I’m just saying that this feeling of inferiority / superiority (I don’t know which one is more suitable) prevents you from opening up. Thus leading you to feel lonely.
3. When you talk to someone and feel that the person doesn’t want to listen to you: Aah, this is the worst one. Coz, it feels like you’re talking to a wall. And hence you choose solitude over being with someone who makes you feel alone.
4. You prefer to music to speech: Music, can solve problems. Listening to other people give you advice can’t. I wholly support this idea. I do it many a times. Much to the displeasure of my friends. But this thought that music is the only thing keeping you alive is what makes you feel a little bit more lonelier. These effects are counter attacked by the pleasure inducing effect of music. But that overwhelming thought that music understands you better than people does make you feel a little aloof from other people.
5. Drink away the pain: I would suggest doing this intoxication induced self analysis alone. You might regret your slurred words the moment they step out of your mouth and enter the ears of your fellow drink buddies. The reason why I feel drinking alone makes you feel lonelier: You replay the old sad memories. And then remember that you don’t have anyone to share them with. Nor do you have a glass of wine to part with with the one you loved the most.
6. When your best friend gets a new best friend: This one sucks. Coz you constantly see your best friend online and not chatting with you. And when you text message your best friend, there are no longer any immediate replies. The replies turn out to be short and terse, almost as if your bestie is trying to throw you away. Now that he/she got a new play toy.
7. Someone you love has moved on to the next world: This hurts. Coz you now have one less person among those who can tolerate your stupidity. On a serious note, this hurts as fuck, coz of the memories you keep replaying in your mind. It will take some time. But it will surely stop. And then you’ll be able to smile again.
8. Heart-break or a friend-break: I would say this hurts more than number eight. Coz, in this case, even though the person is existent in this world, you can no longer text them at any random time of the day and expect a immediate reply (if you’re foolish enough to even consider a reply.)
At which horrible moments in your life do you feel lonely? Any specific moment in your life when you felt like it was one against the world? Do share it out in the comments section!