Luna Lovegood is a classic example of the weirdos we have in school. Often teased and harassed for her weird beliefs (half of them inherited from her father and the other half from the Quibbler), she grew up with an unfortunate nickname – Loony Lovegood. Her weird beliefs include:
1. Existence of Wrackspurts, creatures who float near people’s ears and make then feel confused
2. Existence of Crumple Horned Snorkack, a highly magical creature, which has the ability to reform once it bursts. Hermione clearly does not believe that such a creature exists and instead feels that the horn in Mr. Lovegood’s possession is an Erumpent Horn. Hermione said it, hence we nod our heads in humble agreement.
3. Existence of Blibbering Humdinger: No mention of what they actually are. But Loony saw them often so, it’s quite safe to assume that such creatures don’t exist!
4. Existence of Heliopaths: Spirits of fire which have the power to gallop across the ground burning everything in their path.
5. Existence of Nargles: Known to infest mistletoes and are horribly incorrigible thieves. Many times, they have stolen Luna’s dear possessions. A charm that Luna used to protect herself from them? Butterbeer cork necklaces and her Dirigible Plum earrings( the radish ones).
6. Fruits called Dirigible Plums: They look like radishes, orange radishes, but actually serve to help the person wearing them to accept what cannot be accepted and understand what cannot be understood.
7. A disease called Loser’s Lurgy: Now what exactly this disease is, we would never know. Even healers from Mungo’s can’t understand it. But our dearest Luna can: it affects Quidditch players.
Now, as to why I consider her to be my favourite character. She is pretty weird and all. Somewhat a pain to be around. But then, even in her crazy moments, she comes up with weird ideas which actually work. Like, when Harry gathered up his friends to save Sirius, she was the one to suggest the use of Thestrals to get there. She often commiserated with Harry, having gone through the pain of losing a parent. Weird as she was, Harry often found that he could be himself around her. Talk to her about his feelings.. and she really lent an amazing ear to listen to all his ramblings!
And maybe some part of me wishes I was Luna Lovegood just to be around Harry Potter! *_*
Actually, in a quiz I had taken on BuzzFeed, Which Harry Potter Character Are You? , I had got Luna Lovegood!
I sometimes wonder whether JKR thought of lunatic when she named Luna.. maybe she did!